Save comments when Comments field is empty ??

Discussions about Forms Designer for SharePoint 2013 / 2016 and Office 365.
Leslie

22 Apr 2020

Hello !

I have an issue with a multiline text field (Type : Note), the V3Comments field, only with Internet Explorer (I don't have this issue with Firefox) :
When I save an item with no content in V3Comments fields, it still saves an empty comment (with proper user and date/time of the last submit).

With Firefox, when someone save the item with V3Comments fields empty, it doesn't save a comment, as expected.

Where is the issue with IE and what can I do to fix it ?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day !

Leslie

22 Apr 2020

Another issue on this field, I think it's connected.
I created a multiline field named "Commentaires" to concatenate comments, with a workflow : Commentaires = [new comment] + Commentaires, in broad strokes.

I noted that, all the comments added with Internet Explorer have perfect line breaks, but the comments added with Firefox have lost all the line breaks ! (and it's a far less legible)

For my initial issue : Maybe it's because, with IE, even if the field is empty, it still counts a line break ?
Why ?

mnikitina

23 Apr 2020

Hello Leslie,

Are we talking about the Rich text fields? Could you please share the screenshot of the list so I could have a full picture.

Thank you!

Leslie

27 Apr 2020

Hello MNikitina !

I just made a test item, named "test010".
The only required field is Title, so "test010", and I didn't fill the other fields.
It counts an entry in the V3Comments field, again. (today, 10:11)
I open the same item with Firefox, I just save it, and when I re-open it there is no issue with the last submit : it doesn't count an entry in the V3Comments field. (today, 10:13)
Capture003.PNG
Capture003.PNG (28.76 KiB) Viewed 2724 times

I made another attempt in another list: If I change the settings of the V3Comments field, and I select the third choice in the "text type" ("Texte enrichi amélioré" in french version), the problem disappears !
But I don't want to allow all the text types...
(Note : For this field : The internal name is V3Comments, the list name is "Commentaire pour ajout uniquement", and its title in the form is "Commentaires de suivi". Yes I know, it needs to stay focused. :lol: )
Capture004.PNG
Capture004.PNG (27.25 KiB) Viewed 2724 times

Any idea ? :?

mnikitina

29 Apr 2020

Hello Leslie,

We recommend using modern browsers for the proper work of the Forms Designer. But if it is necessary to work in IE, the only option, as you've already mentioned, is to set the type of the text field to Enhanced rich-text to get rid of the blank entries in Internet Explorer.

• Information