Format Currency

Discussions about Forms Designer for SharePoint 2010.
schuess

13 Feb 2014

I am trying with no success to format a currency field on the new form. I would like it to either add the $ and commas during typing if possible. I have tried to use a popular jquery library called .formatCurrency(), but with no luck.

LInk to library: https://code.google.com/p/jquery-formatcurrency/

Error Message:

SCRIPT438: Object doesn't support property or method 'formatCurrency'"

Code Attempts:

//Format Currency Fields

$('.fd_field[fd_name="bidSecurityAmount"]').formatCurrency(); //using the library

//seperate attempt without the library

$('.fd_field[fd_name="bidSecurityAmount"]').text('$' + parseFloat(total, 10).toFixed(2).replace(/(\d)(?=(\d{3})+\.)/g, "$1,").toString());

I referrenced the script library using a custom action with visual studio to deploy a script link

If you can help me in any way to try and apply currency formating to a field as the user types, that would be great. At the lease format the currency after they click off the field.

Thanks

Dmitry Kozlov
Site Admin

16 Feb 2014

Forms Designer includes JQuery library in compatibility mode, so, variables jQuery and $ are not defined globally. If you include additional plugins based on jQuery library and wish to use them on customized with Forms Designer forms only, you have to pass them $fd_jQuery variable instead of jQuery. So, please, open jquery.formatCurrency-1.4.0.js file and replace jQuery with $fd_jQuery.

If you use your own jQuery library with formatCurrency plugin then call window.$.formatCurrency() function in JS-editor of Forms Designer.

schuess

18 Feb 2014

The jQuery Plugin i want to use seems to want to format the input text box, but when i try and supply my field, i seem to be supplying the entire div/field.

$('.fd_field[fd_name="bidSecurityAmount"]').change(function(){
//fd.field('bidSecurityAmount').control()._el().value().formatCurrency();
//$('.fd_field[fd_name="bidSecurityAmount"]').formatCurrency();
//$('.fd_field[fd_name="bidSecurityAmount"]'.val()).formatCurrency();

});

the swtiching back and forth between js-framework and the plugin framework seems to be causing me trouble.

how can i send the value of my input to a 3rd party plugin?

thanks D.

Matt

Dmitry Kozlov
Site Admin

19 Feb 2014

Hi Matt,

It seems, you should pass control to this plugin instead of just value. Try the following code:

Code: Select all

$('.fd_field[fd_name="bidSecurityAmount"] input').formatCurrency()

schuess

19 Feb 2014

That worked perfectly.

Would i have known that with a greater understanding of javascript or html or from a better understanding of js-framework?

Dmitry Kozlov
Site Admin

20 Feb 2014

Of course, our framework is based on jQuery. So, I recommend you to start with javascript and jQuery :)

• Information