Issues during installation

Discussions about Cross-site Lookup
kwied

11 Dec 2017

Hello,
I'm currently evaluating the Cross-site Lookup solution for use in SharePoint Server 2013 on premises for the operations team.
I have found two errors in the process that I would like to clarify before giving our approval for using the solution.

1. When installing the solution on our test system using the provided installer, I get an error message that the feature could not be activated on several web applications. When I check the Site Collection settings, I can see that the feature is already activated.
This was the case on first installation and any subsequent tries.
I removed the solution completely and retried the installation
2. when setting up a list using Cross-site Lookup, it works fine. But in the ULS logs, I get a warning:
"List does not exist. The page you selected contains a list that does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.<nativehr>0x81020026</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>"
I did not get that error on the site itself when working with Cross-site Lookup, only in the ULS log.

Any ideas what may cause these error messages?

Mind you, the solution seems to work fine, but I will not get my boss to give the go-ahead before I can show these issues are caused by the test system vs. the solution.

Nikita Kurguzov

11 Dec 2017

Hello Kilian,

Thank you for your interest in our software. We've already provided a response in an email to you and it is as follows:

1. Most likely, a previous version of Cross-site Lookup solution was installed before installing a new one. Or a previous version was uninstalled without deactivating the feature.
2. Hmm, I guess you have a lookup column (Cross-site Lookup and a regular lookup field) that points to a list that does not exist. Find more info in the logs above or below the actual error. Cross-site Lookup works absolutely identical to the OOTB lookup internally, it just replaces a default drop-down with a more useful select box with more options for customization. Check what process or module causes the error.

Hopefully, you'll find what causes an issue, but since it is SharePoint, there might be a large variety of reasons for this specific behavior. In some cases, this error is caused by permissions configuration for the list you are trying to access, but it can also be caused by AAMs, in some cases by the Publishing feature and even by OwssvrHandler where you might need to Edit Feature permission and make sure that Execute option is selected, restarting your IIS afterwards.

We've not encountered this issue with our products previously and it's likely to be nothing major if the functionality is intact, but you can send us your ULS logs, so we can take a look. However, we do not guarantee that we find a solution just with the logs alone or even if we do have a screenshare session as there really can be a ton of things that can give this error and not all can be easily fixed, but we hope it doesn't prevents our products from working as intended.
Cheers

• Information