Settings get reseted on field update

Discussions about Cross-site Lookup
ragesoft

11 Jun 2018

Hi,
i've just found some strange behavior depending the settings of the cross-site lookup:

i've changed the "request items" and "item format" settings on this field.
Then i've changed the field settings on the list to additional show a column from the lookup list in the list-view.
Now my form dosnt work anymore and i have to recreate the csl for this column!!! all my settings are lost!

thats not good, because this forces me to allways backup all my changes in all forms after getting it ready / working...

is this "by design" or is there any way to avoid this "reset"?

best would be to define all this settings on the site-column level, because this is how we define all our columns (we work primarly with site content types).

Nikita Kurguzov

12 Jun 2018

Dear ragesoft,
Not actually sure what you mean - you've only changed the field to show additional columns and the settings got reset? This shouldn't be the case, are you sure you haven't changed anything else? Unfortunately, we were unable to recreate this in our environment.
If possible, can you record us a video with a new list where you do the same, so we can see it ourselves?
Cheers

ragesoft

12 Jun 2018

What is the best way to do this?
Create the form with the Forms Designer and than change the aspx with SharePoint Designer?
What happend to my customized form, if i update the form with Forms Designer again, after changing in SP Designer?

Nikita Kurguzov

13 Jun 2018

Dear ragesoft,
Did you change something in SharePoint designer as well? I am not sure, as from your description I've gathered that you've only changed List Settings -> Column settings for the lookup, did you change the aspx as well? Why?

In any case, to see if this is a bug or not, we do need to see your actions and their result, that's why I was asking for a video. Simply changing Column settings should have no effect on the Cross-site Lookup.
Cheers

ragesoft

13 Jun 2018

Hi.

Sorry. My answer was to the other topic, not the lookup reset...

I've just tried to recreate the behavior on a list-column, but it worked as expected.

I will have a look at it and report back if the "reset" happens again. Maybe it was some missbehavior with website-column and list-column settings (push changes to all lists using this website column)...

• Information