List template and forms

Discussions about Forms Designer for SharePoint 2010.
ninkasi

12 Jun 2013

Hello,

I've made a list A and customized the different form.

Now I want to create a list B, based on what I've configured on the list A.

So, in Sharepoint I add my List A as a template in the template library, and then, I create my new list B with this model.

It works perfectly for all the columns, displays etc... But not the forms, when I click to create a new entry, it loads the form from List A and save the entry into List A.

I made some research in SPform, and noticed that the customized forms for List B are not created, so I guess that by default it uses the List A forms.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to copy as a model the forms or if I have to rebuild them manually ?

(I tried to export the forms, but when I look into the file that is created, it refers to the ids of the fields of my List A).

Thx

Dmitry Kozlov
Site Admin

13 Jun 2013

Hello,

Thank you for your question. You are right, currently Forms Designer exports fields by their ids. So, if you added column with the same name to List B you cannot import layout with this column from List A. As a workaround I can suggest a good practice of creating columns in SharePoint: create your columns on the site level: Site Settings -> Site Columns and then add them to your lists as existing site columns. All columns added from site level will have the same id even if they were added to different lists.

Thank you for your question again, I suppose, we will consider to export/import fields by their internal names in future version.

ninkasi

19 Jun 2013

Thx for your answer.

I Guess it could be a great feature.

For those who where having the same needs, I managed to spend less time creating my forms by creating one with all my tables, css, java and so, but no data fields.

I export this and import it in all the forms that I have to do. Then I just have to drag and drop the fields after.

Dmitry Kozlov
Site Admin

29 Jul 2013

Hello,

We added this feature to Forms Designer 2.7.2. Now all fields are exported/imported by their internal names. Please, upgrade your version.

• Information